Unpretentious, unassuming and the very best cocktails – my go-to bars in Singapore:
- El Tardeo : Craig Road
– Knowledgeable staff who specialise in Gin and have a charming story for every bottle! When off-peak, this bar really excels in keeping it personal. They serve tapas and do an excellent guacamole too! And just found out that they do free flow sparkling wine on Wednesdays between 18-20:00 for Ladies
- 28 Hong Kong Street : Hong Kong Street
– Excellent music and almost impossible to find (a cleverly positioned padlock on the authentic-style doors as well as a handle, but no windows at all) with just a tiny sign. This place does deliciously diverse cocktails and rich American-style food, from mac and cheese balls to burgers and apple-pie inspired deserts.
- Bar Stories : Haji Lane
– You just describe what you like and in about 8 minutes you will have a delightful surprise. We were a group of 7 and every cocktail was fabulous! Set above one of the funky shophouses that line Haji Lane, this casual but unfortunately “hospital-lit” room (please work on the ambient lighting!) is in a great location for pre/ post-dinner drinks.
- D.Bespoke : Bukit Pasoh Road
– Sink into the giant leather arm chairs where vinyl records play complete with the crispy sounds of the past and sip on a decadent cocktail in a thinly stemmed glass – it’s all very zen. There’s no menu here and the low-volume music is refreshing; you can actually go to a bar and have a conversation. At $84 for 2 drinks though, you might not stay all night.
- The Library – Keong Saik Road
– You need to state a password or sing a tune to get into this place but once you’re behind the well-hidden door you find yourself in a quasi-club like atmosphere. The menu is everything but dull but perhaps a little too adventurous for some.